After ordering services, please follow these guidelines:
- If you’re ordering ahead, please print, sign and mail the Placenta Medicine Order form here. The form will also be emailed to you with your order.
- Call or text 541-261-3537 as soon as possible after your baby is born (if it’s the middle of the night, contact me the next day after 9 am.)
- In the meantime, keep the placenta cool by putting it in the fridge or in a cooler on ice.
- Your refrigerated placenta needs to be processed within 48 hours, so do not delay in contacting me. If time constraints do not permit this, please freeze it.
- I will return your finished product to you within a couple of days.
- If you are birthing in a remote location but would still like this service, overnight mail options are available. Please contact me for more information.
PLACENTA MEDICINE BENEFITS
In Chinese Medicine, placenta pills are a time-honored remedy known to build qi (vital life force), and can be beneficial in addressing problems such as low energy, blood deficiency/ anemia, a low mood after childbirth, and more. It is a fact that immediately after birthing their young, most mammals consume their placenta instinctively. Certainly, you could simply eat yours after birth the way many women around the world do (there are a variety of different ways to do this), but some prefer to have capsules made, as a more palatable way of consuming their placenta. The most meaningful feedback about the helpfulness of consuming the placenta during the postpartum period comes from mothers who have experienced childbirth before without it, and now have something to compare it to.
Reported positive effects include:
- Less incidence and/ or severity of the “baby blues” or Postpartum Depression, by way of hormonal balancing.
- Faster healing, with speedier involution of the uterus after birth, and less bleeding.
- An increase in the quality and quantity of breast milk.
- A restorative effect after blood loss – the placenta concentrates large amounts of nutrients, including iron, resulting in a noticeable increase in energy
HOW ARE THE PILLS PREPARED?
A recipe from TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)is followed, which involves steaming, dehydrating, powdering, and putting your placenta into empty capsules. Careful sanitation and universal precautions are used during processing, to protect your health and mine.
You will also automatically receive a keepsake made from the cord, dried into a heart or spiral, which is thought, in some cultures, to be a good luck charm for the baby.
WHAT IS AN ART PRINT?
An art print is made by pressing your placenta against watercolor paper to capture an image of it, using blood as the ink, and the placenta like a giant rubber stamp. There is no way to tell how it will come out, but it produces a beautiful image to forever remind you of the life you nourished.
HOW MANY CAPSULES WILL I RECEIVE?
That depends on the size of your placenta, which depends on the size of your baby. Most placentas are about 20% of the size of the baby, and yield between 3-5 week’s worth of capsules, if taken according to directions.
WHAT IS PLACENTA TINCTURE?
A small piece of your placenta also can be used to create a tincture (alcohol extract), which can be used as a remedy for your baby throughout their childhood. The shelf life is about 10 years, and the dose is one drop. This is a special opportunity to capture the essence of the amazing medicine made by your very own body! The placenta represents the way you and your baby were physically connected during gestation, and the remedy is thought to ease separation anxiety when given to the baby. Additionally, it can be used during times of childhood illnesses or stress. This service is available with the placenta encapsulation service, and doesn’t interfere with the preparation of your capsules, as only a very small portion is used in making the tincture.
HOW FAR AHEAD OF TIME DO I NEED TO ARRANGE THIS SERVICE WITH YOU?
You can order online here or print and mail our Placenta Medicine Order form. Or, you can just call once your baby is born, and we can go from there. Remember to keep your placenta refrigerated until I get a hold of it. Your refrigerated placenta must be processed within 48 hours, so don’t delay! If time constraints do not permit this, please freeze it.